We all know that a key fob is an important part of our car. It allows us to start the engine, lock and unlock the doors, and open the trunk. The Kia Sorento has been around for quite some time now, so you may be wondering how often should you replace the battery in the key fob. Continue reading to learn how to change your battery in your 2014 - 2020 Kia Sorento Key Fob.
Table of Contents
How to replace the battery of the Kia Sorento key fob?
The Kia Sorento cars have been in the market for a few years now. And it is no surprise that the key fob for these cars may show signs of battery life degradation. Fortunately, replacing the battery in your Kia Sorento key fob is very easy to do, and there are a few easy steps you need to follow in order to replace the battery.
Step one: Remove the mechanical key from the key fob by pressing the small button at the back of the device.
Step two: Use a screwdriver to pop off the cover by inserting the tip of the screwdriver in the slot next to where the mechanical key was. Twist it gently to pry off the cover.
Step three: Use the flat screwdriver to pry out the old battery by placing its tip underneath the old battery. Take the old button cell battery and replace it with a new one. Make sure you get the polarity correct. This can always be checked in your owner's manual or by remembering how was the old battery positioned.
Step four: Realign the cover back and snap the two halves together.
Step five: Return the mechanical key back and test out your key fob if it's working by locking and unlocking your car doors.
What are the things to consider when changing the battery of the Kia Sorento key fob?
There are things to consider when changing the battery of the Kia Sorento key fob, and these are:
- Dispose of the old battery properly. Don't just throw it away. The environment and human life/health can be harmed if a battery is inappropriately disposed of. Make sure to properly dispose of the batteries according to local regulations or laws.
- Keep the key fob's battery compartment clean and dry to prevent short circuits.
- If you are not using it for an extended period of time, be sure to store it in a dry location. It will not operate properly if exposed to moisture or static electricity.
- Don't drop or expose it to heat, sunlight, or water to avoid damaging the key fob.
How to start your Kia Sorento with a dead key fob?
With modern technology, you can now have all sorts of convenience with your key fob. Instead of having to manually unlock the door every time you need access to your car or truck, you would simply use a button on an electronic device that unlocks it at the touch of a finger and then locks again after getting in. What if the battery is dead? Can you still start the car with a dead-key fob?
Yes, you can still start your Kia Sorento with a dead key fob by the following steps:
- Remove the mechanical emergency key from the key fob and use it to unlock the driver's door so you can access the car. Press and then hold the small button at the back of the key fob to release the mechanical key.
- For models made in 2014 and after, press the start/stop ignition button with your fob while simultaneously pressing on the pedal brake.
- The car will recognize the fob even when the battery is dead and will start the ignition.
Make sure to replace the battery of your key fob as soon as possible to prevent it from dying on you again.
It's not too difficult to replace the battery of your Kia Sorento key fob. Following the guides from this article will only take about two minutes or less to change the battery in your Kia Sorento key fob. We have also highlighted some important considerations that should be taken into account when carrying out this procedure and how to start your car with a dead-key fob.
Even with all the tremendous technological advances in autos, there are still times when you need to open your car doors manually. Whether it's because of battery failure or other issues, it is still best that you know how to do simple troubleshooting procedures.
We hope that you found this post article helpful and easy to understand in changing the battery in your Kia Sorento key fob and other details that will help you get back on the road as safely as possible.