Button batteries are commonly used in a variety of household items such as remote controls, toys, and hearing aids. However, these small batteries can pose a serious danger to children and adults alike.
The danger lies in the size and shape of the batteries. Button batteries are small and round, making them easy to swallow, especially for young children. Once swallowed, the battery can get stuck in the esophagus or stomach, causing serious injury or even death.
Why are Button Batteries Banned?
Button batteries have not been banned, but there have been calls for stricter regulations on their packaging and design to prevent accidental ingestion. In some countries, manufacturers are required to make button batteries more difficult to access and to include warning labels on their packaging.
Are Button Batteries Dangerous to Touch?
Button batteries are not dangerous to touch, but if they are ingested or inserted into an opening in the body, they can cause serious harm. It is important to keep button batteries out of reach of children and to dispose of them properly.
How Common is Button Battery Death?
Button battery deaths are rare, but they do occur. In the United States, there have been at least 16 deaths related to button battery ingestion since 2010. The majority of these deaths were young children who accidentally swallowed the batteries.
What Happens if a Baby Puts a Battery in Their Mouth?
If a baby puts a battery in their mouth, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. The battery can become lodged in the esophagus or stomach, causing serious injury or even death. Symptoms of button battery ingestion include vomiting, coughing, and difficulty breathing.
In conclusion, button batteries may seem harmless, but they can pose a serious danger if ingested. It is important to keep button batteries out of reach of children and to dispose of them properly. If you suspect that someone has swallowed a button battery, seek medical attention immediately.