Can you put a 24 volt battery in a 12 volt Power Wheels? You might be wondering if an upgrade from 12volt to 24volt is possible. Well, this article will cover the reasons why there’s a need to upgrade, things to consider when changing the battery from 12 volts to 24 volts in your power wheel, and safety precautions you should take when completing the process.
Table of Contents
Can you put a 24 volt battery in a 12 volt Power Wheels?
With a few simple tools and replacement parts, you can upgrade your 12V ride-on car to 24 volts. This will offer your small children more speed for their power wheels. But before you proceed, you should have knowledge about the power wheels voltage, also it’s important to know why do you need to upgrade the battery from 12volts to 24volts. There are different reasons why you should go with a higher voltage battery in your power wheels car. It will provide faster speeds, longer run time, and it’s much safer to operate when compared to a standard 12V system.
What are the things to consider when upgrading the battery from 12 volts to 24 volts?
Upgrading your child’s power wheels from 12volts to 24volts would definitely give more power to your child’s ride. It will also prolong battery life since the 24volt batteries are made for upgraded toys and cars, just like the Power Wheels you have. However, there might be some considerations that can affect safety when completing this process. It is important to remember that you are dealing with electricity and small children. And if you are doing this for the first time, you should have someone or a professional technician who can help you best to complete this project.
Here are the things to consider when changing a 12volt battery to a 24volt one:
- The power wheels toy should be switched off before replacing or upgrading its battery. You should also open up the hood of your ride and disconnect all wire connections from the motor, lights, and switches.
- It is important that you have the correct replacement battery that is compatible with the Power Wheels. You need to check first the brand and type of the battery of your power wheels toy.
- The 24volt battery is much heavier compared to the 12volt one. So, check if your ride has enough power and torque to drive a heavy load like this upgraded version of its batteries. There should be enough space in the compartment for this upgrade.
- Check the motor capacity of the ride. Make sure that it can handle a 24volt battery upgrade. You should be able to find this information in the user manual that comes with the Power Wheels. When you upgrade the motor capacity to 24 volts, 12-volt motors typically burn out in 2-3 months. It would be ideal if you purchase a 24-volt motor instead of a 12-volt engine when upgrading it.
- Make sure that you know how to connect the new battery, and wire connections for the best performance of the upgraded power wheels toy car or truck.
- The wires and connectors for this upgraded version must also fit into place with no problem at all. If not, you might need to purchase new wire sets that are compatible with the ride’s upgraded battery.
- Examine the fuses to be sure there is no more than normal voltage being sent to the circuit. However, keeping the 12V ride-on automobile fuses after conversion is a very unsafe practice. You’ll need 20 amp fuses for a 24-volt toy car. Fuses will handle the current produced by a 24-volt battery as it powers the ride-on vehicle. These fuses are available at a local hardware store.
- Make sure that you are doing this project in a well-ventilated room free from any flammables or combustibles to avoid possible fires.
Can you use a car battery for a Power Wheels ride?
It is not ideal to use a car battery in the Power Wheels, the same with using a lawn mower battery in the Power Wheels might be risky and dangerous. It is best to use a battery that is made specifically for the Power Wheels. If you have to replace the battery in the Power Wheels, contact your local Power Wheels dealer for advice on buying a new battery. This way, you can ensure that you are getting the safest, most efficient battery for the Power Wheels ride.
When changing the battery in your Power Wheels from 12v to 24v, it is very important that you understand all the safety precautions and instructions before completing this project to avoid any accidents or injuries when riding the upgraded power wheels car toy for kids.
If you are not sure of how to change the battery to 24volts from 12volts, ask help from a qualified technician who has experience in upgrading the battery of power wheels toys. It is also essential that your child does not ride or touch them until they are completely charged and ready for use. Do these safety precautions when completing the process of changing the battery so that your child or the little ones in your family will be able to enjoy riding or using the power wheels safely.